Not Today Satin! Silk is the answer!!
I work very closely with Amanda from Blonde Design as my graphic & branding designer and Rachel my social media/ content creator. Silk pillows came up in conversation when planning content for Meraki. So when Rachel brought up silk pillows I was thinking, “Won’t I be sweaty?”
So I did an obsessive amount of research on what to buy and where’s what I came up with!
What does it do?
Silk keeps skin and hair hydrated and prevents deep creasing and folds for the hours and hours that you're asleep. With less creasing you'll have less wrinkles in the long-term. Plus, the lack of friction results in less frizz by the time you get up in the morning, helping to keep your hair healthy and your blowouts in tact.
Not all Silk is created equal!
Mulberry silk is not only real silk, it's the highest quality of silk you can find. Think of it as the Egyptian cotton equivalent of silk: the fibers are longer and more uniform so the fabric is smoother and more durable. Instead of thread count, silk fabrics use momme – i.e. fabric weight. You'll usually find a range of 15-30 momme, I bought a 25 & 22 momme count and I definitely felt the difference!
Silk vs SatinSilk
is a naturally made animal protein fiber, whereas polyester is a industrially produced fiber made from petroleum. As such, silk offers significantly better affinity to skin due to similar chemical composition. Compared to silk's smooth and light feel on the skin, polyester is hard, brittle and not very breathing at all.
From a maintenance point of view, silk is a bit more difficult to wash due to it being more delicate and require more attention. However, silk is *hypoallergenic* and repels common household allergens including bacteria, mold, fungi, and dust mites alike, so you will most likely find less annoying substances on a silk sheet/pillowcase than a polyester one. If you are already suffering from allergies, the choice is really a no-brainer.
I bought these pillowcases:
My final honest thoughts about the pillowcase
- I love the way it keeps cool all night
- I do feel like I wake up with less bed head!
- I have noticed I’m not sniffling at night as much! I have terrible allergies.
- I haven't noticed that much of a difference in my skin, only because I obsess with getting oil on my pillowcase so I may be using less moisture at night but I’m getting more comfortable.
- I do like the 25 momme over the 22 momme and I did feel a difference!
- I’m washing it for the first time so I will update as the weeks go by!
- I definitely didn't think I was going to like it as much as I have and I think the softness and cool temperature alone is worth purchasing!
- I wouldn't spend money on a less than 25 momme count because this is something to not skimp on!
- It did take about 2 nights to get used to it but now I sleep like a baby and I find I’m falling asleep faster! #win